Author: M. Moriah Mor
Certified Holistic Nutritionist
Published Energetic Health Institute
The Mulberry Leaf
Herb: Mulberry Leaf
Latin name: Morus Alba (White Mulberry)
Family: Moraceae (Mulberry Family)
Additional names: Sang Ye, The Immortal Mountain Wizard, Silkworm Mulberry, The Tree of Life
The White Mulberry is one of five different types of mulberry tree, scientifically known as Morus Alba.Its origins span from Asia, Europe, Middle East and throughout India. This tree has been utilized as a healing food ingredient and as a traditional medicine to restore health for centuries.
Overwhelming scientific evidence from research conducted at top medical institutions in the United States, India, France, and throughout Asia, prove that the Mulberry Leaf is one of the most powerful natural herbal supplements, and it can no longer be ignored as a potent solution to many health conditions.
Its high source of vitamin, mineral and antioxidant content assists to improve health conditions associated with diabetes, cardiovascular, neurological and more. Additionally, it is considered an ideal plant for providing sustainable future benefits due to its diverse medicinal properties and its ability to be cultivated in various forms. (1) (2)
HOW TO USE IT
- Active Ingredient:1-Deoxynojirimycin (1-DNJ / Moranoline) is extracted and utilized in supplements
- The dried leaves of this tree are typically brewed into a tea.
- In traditional medicine, the leaves, fruit, and bark are used in various forms, due to their essential nutrient content.
WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR?
One of the most amazing characteristics that can only be found in the mulberry leaf is an ingredient known as Moranoline (1-Deoxynojirimycin / 1-DNJ). This incredible compound inhibits an enzyme in the intestinal tract involved in the digestion of carbohydrates. (1) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)(10)
- Research: 1-DNJ prevents excess sugar from entering into the bloodstream. 1000 mg three times daily with meals for 3 months significantly decreased blood sugar and AC1. (3) (11) (12) (13)
- 1-DNJ naturally inhibits alpha-glucosidase enzyme delaying the absorption of carbohydrates in the small intestine and thus have a lowering effect on postprandial blood glucose and insulin levels. (1) (3) (5) (11) (14)
- 1-DNJ lowers fasting blood sugar significantly more than glyburide a medication used to treat diabetes mellitus Type 2. (15)
- 1-DNJ significantly suppressed postprandial blood glucose and insulin secretion (16)
- 1-DNJ content improved blood glucose levels in individuals with impaired glucose metabolism(17)
- Mulberry Leaf Extract enhances heart and circulatory health, inflammation, arterial plaque (1) (3) (14) (17) (18)
- Beneficial effects against cardiometabolic risks, including antihyperglycemic, antihyperlipidemic, anti- obesity, antihypertensive, antioxidative, anti-inflammatory, anti-atherosclerotic and cardioprotective effects. (18)
- Supports healthy blood lipid levels, lowers blood pressure and cholesterol levels(1)(14)(19)(20)
- Contains flavonoids such as resveratrol and quercetin promoting heart, blood vessel, smooth muscle recuperation and circulatory health (1) (21)
- Scientists in Japan have found that Mulberry Leaf Extract can be effective in suppressing the buildup of cholesterol-rich plaque in the arteries.
3. ANTI-INFLAMMATORY / ANTI-MICROBIAL
- Provides high levels of antioxidants, flavonoids and anti-inflammatory properties. (1)
- The saponins, tannins, alkaloids and flavonoids present in mulberry leaf extract shows admirable antimicrobial effects(1)
- Protects liver cells from damage and reduces liver inflammation (1)
- Studies have shown that white mulberry leaf reduced inflammatory proteins in white blood cells.(1)
- Supports healthy digestion and absorption of nutrients (1)
- Helpful in treating constipation: Mulberry leaf contains high source of fiber (1)
Mulberry leaf extract increases a beneficial hormone adiponectin, which regulates glucose levels, reduces fat accumulation, and lowers damaging inflammatory mediators.(22
4. MUSCLE RECUPERATION / BONE HEALTH
- Improves muscle mitochondrial function via its nutritional content, high levels of flavonoid, quercetin, resveratrol, GABA and activation of AMPK in Type 2 diabetics. (1) (23)
- Mulberry leaf contains calcium, iron, phosphorous and magnesium; nutrients that support bone health and offset the effects of osteoporosis. By comparison, mulberry Leaves contain 6 times more calcium than green tea, 25 times more than milk, and 40 times more than cabbage.
5. NEUROLOGICAL DISORDER / ANXIETY 25
- Mulberry leaf extract is a potent protector against glyphosate-induced toxicity (24)
- Mulberry leaf extract reveals promising research results for neurological disorders such as Alzheimer, Parkinson, skin diseases, gastrointestinal disorders, anxiety and cancer (1) (24) (25) (26)
- Mulberry leaf provides high levels of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties: shown to prevent obesity-mediated liver cancer (1)
- Suppresses mutagenesis of carcinogens (27) (28)
- Mulberry leaves polyphenols inhibit the growth of carcinogenic liver cells (29) (30)
- White Mulberry’s antioxidant-rich induces apoptosis. (31)
6. WEIGHT MANAGMENT
- Supports healthy weight management via active ingredients 1-DNJ and rutin (1) (32)
- White mulberry supplementation as adjuvant treatment of obesity. (33)
- 1-DNJ Promotes Weight Control (34)
7. ANTI-AGING / SKIN HEALTH
- Provides anti-aging and skin health benefits: loaded with powerful compounds like polyphenol, antioxidants, and flavanol assisting with pigmentation caused by aging, exposure to the sun, and radiation. (1) (35) (36) (37)
- Helps to remove dark spots and discoloration
- Improves the appearance of uneven skin tone
- Helps protect the skin from environmental factors
- Hydrates and nourishes the skin
- Reduces the signs of premature aging
- Promotes beautifully radiant and glowing complexion
MULBERRY LEAF: KEY NUTRITIONAL COMPOUNDS
In addition to the nutrients discussed above, the leaves also contain: (1) (7) (9) (10)
|Vitamin A: essential for vision & immunity|
Vitamin B1: healthy skin, muscles, immunity, and the nervous system
Vitamin B2: digestive & muscular function
Vitamin B6: nerve function & protein metabolism
Folic Acid: mitochondrial energy production
Vitamin C: powerful antioxidant with many critical functions in the body
Vitamin D: healthy immune function
Vitamin E: supports cell rejuvenation
Amino acids: building blocks of protein
Calcium: strong bones and teeth
|Potassium: regulates blood pressure & nerve signaling|
Magnesium: plays over 300 roles in the body
Iron: required for oxygen transport
Zinc: essential for immunity & skin health
Phosphorus: required for bone health, helps body use carbohydrates & fats Polyphenols: anti-aging antioxidants that reduce the risk of many chronic diseases
GABA (Gamma Amino Butyric Acid): neurotransmitter that helps manage anxiety and stress & maintain healthy bloodpressure levels
1-DNJ (1-Deoxinorjirimiycin): supports healthy blood sugar Phytosterol: maintains normal cholesterol levels
Resveratrol: lowers blood pressure
Quercetin: antioxidant that supports immunity & liver health
Flavonoids: helps fight damage by free radicals
Carotenoids: supports eye health & reduces the risk of cancer
Chlorophyll: supports the heart, intestines, & cleanses the liver
Did you know…
- The history of man utilizing the mulberry leaf for its unique healing properties dates back over 5,000 years. Commonly known as the food source for silkworms, the mulberry leaf is considered one of the oldest herbs used by man.
- The Mulberry Tree was central to life in ancient times, both in the East and West. Legends dating back thousands of years referenced the mulberry tree as “The Tree of Life“ and its leaves as “The Immortal Mountain Wizard“.(1) (2) (38)
- The Mulberry Tree has been celebrated by Emperors, poets and artists like Vincent Van Gogh. Scholars have debated for centuries on the mistranslation of the Biblical referenced Sycamore tree (The Tree of Life) to have actually been the Mulberry Tree.
- All parts of the Mulberry Tree (berries, leaves, twigs and root bark) are utilized for medicinal and commercial purposes. For these attributes and others, the ancient Greeks dedicated the plant to the goddess of wisdom Athena and defined it as “A tree with life reviving potential”.
M. Moriah Mor, a Certified Holistic Nutritionist, is the owner of GreenSilk.com. The company is committed to helping individuals live a healthier lifestyle through education, nutrition, the research of life science, and the development of Professional High-Grade Premium health products.
Recognized for her outstanding dedication and contributions to the health and wellness industry for more than 18 years, Moriah is a graduate of the Energetic Health Institute and the University of Southern California. Her interest is focused on researching the latest scientific breakthroughs in the holistic health field. She is currently working toward her Doctorate in Natural Medicine.
- https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1110863013000578 HepG2
Healthy Living Articles